Friday 21 February 2014

The Wolf of Wall Street is a Must-See/Read for the Sheltered, Ignorant and Naïve

Instead of doing homework tonight, I decided to indulge in a movie that has recently created quite the stir in popular culture.  I was discouraged from watching The Wolf of Wall Street by my bible study group.  The reasoning was that a Christian should not consume that type of obscene material.  Therefore I had to watch the movie.
 
The warnings you were told about all the sex scenes, swearing in nearly every sentence, explicit use of drugs, domestic violence and even possible animal abuse, I can confirm, are all true.  I would imagine that the most puritanical and conservative amongst us might have stormed out of the movie theatre after the first 5 minutes, fuming at the portrayal of sex, drugs, female subjugation and swear words all in one scene.  For those who left on a moral premise, they made a good move, because it wouldn't change much for the remaining 3 hours of the movie.  Numerous scenes shamelessly depict massive orgies, fully nude women and domestic violence.  The main characters were depicted many times snorting cocaine or binging on some other illicit drug.  Some would argue that the film took the depiction of "the real Wall Street" way too far. 
 
They might have a case.  I, however, found the explicit material to be suitable for the film.  As a Christian myself, I understand the warnings thrown about by believers that, at the very least, fellow believers should not watch the movie.  As children of God we should strive to be perfect and holy like God the Father is perfect and holy.  Fair enough, I will agree with that, but is avoiding the things that happen in front of our very eyes the right way to go about the situation?  If we continue to live a life where we avoid all forms of evil we might just as well delete ourselves from this world!  A film like The Wolf of Wall Street reminds us that evil is all around us.  Personally I knew that there are some things done on Wall Street that is a blight for humanity such as money laundering, corruption and lobbyists from big corporations courting politicians to influence legislation in favour of said corporations and thus only furthering the destructive overly-capitalistic machine.  I only knew this because I gave an ear to non-mainstream news sources that are actually focussed on delivering the public the facts and not merely telling the public what the government or corporations want them to hear. Now there are many ill informed people out there who actually think that the people working on Wall Street are suited and booted (well, they are well-dressed, I shall concede) professionals wanting to make the most money they possibly can from your investment.  It's exactly from ignorant, naïve people like that that these stockbrokers and corporations make their money.  Don't be an idiot.  Most of those people don't really care a thing for you, your money, your mortgage or your children's college tuition.  All they want is to line their own pockets and buy shinier and faster cars.  And they call themselves professionals?  Ha, show me a true professional that engages in as much debauchery as in The Wolf of Wall Street and I will show you a snowball thriving on the surface of the sun. 
 
Of course, I have over-generalised by implying that every single person that draws a breath on Wall Street is greedy and selfish.  Of course, there are some magnanimous men and women, greater persons that I can ever hope to be, who wander through that famous street.  My point is that people, especially really sheltered people, should watch the film and see what happens out there in the "real world".  I am an optimist myself, but even I know that not everyone out there wants to be your friend.  For some people, when they see even a single greenback in your wallet they want to get their hands on that and for what?  To spend it on lavish holidays in some exotic European destination to please their vain friends and brown-nosing employees, that's what they are going to do.
 
If watching the movie would cause too much of a moral stir for you, luckily the movie is based on the memoirs of Jordan Belfort.  Read those memoirs and find the even more gruesome details of life in the most all-or-nothing business in the world - stockbroking.
 
TheLonelyman

2 comments:

  1. I personally thought this movie was lame...all in the eye of the beholder I suppose...maybe the memoirs will get the message across....will read it....I got stuck at the explicit visuals :) and me bein a visual learner, I missed the story behind it all..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Revelation 18 gives a pretty clear picture of the end of all you are describing here.

    ReplyDelete