Sunday 30 March 2014

Noah a Surprisingly Good Watch: We Are the Protectors of Earth

I remember sitting in the food court at a mall in Austin, Texas somewhat dreading the movie that I bought a ticket for.  I so badly wanted to see 300 Rise of An Empire in the Imax cinema, but alas, the earliest screening was too late for a 4 o' clock get up the next morning. 

I sat down in cinema 1 and Noah was spreadeagle across the Imax screen.  I had my concerns of this movie beforehand.  I was convinced that Hollywood would (too much wood in this sentence) deliver a highly-sceptical, highly-critical motion picture to account for the Biblical account of the Noah and the Great Flood.  I had this idea that nothing positive about Christianity could ever come from America's bluest state.  I was so wrong.

Noah, even despite the fact that I have read the Biblical account quite a few times before, was a gripping, emotional roller-coaster.  My hands were found around my mouth or head for most of the movie.  There were numerous goosebump (or we would call it in Afrikaans chicken-skin) moments.  The Bible was never written in the most exciting manner and thus reading the story of Noah didn't seem like such a big deal.  The movie, however, masterfully captures the enormity of the ark and the actual flood.  The movie (unlike the Bible) focusses quite a bit on "Man".  In the Bible, God basically condemns Man for being sinful and evil and there is a mention of how Noah was ridiculed for building an ark whilst Men went on with their lives as normal.  The movie shows some of the sinfulness Man committed unlike anything  in the Bible.  Cannibalism, infanticide, slavery, etc. are all shown in a brief scene where Noah stands among Men.  You know, one reads about things like cannibalism and think, "Hmm, that must be really suck."  However, when you can see how a starving husband ruthlessly rips his son from his distraught wife's arms to eat the poor babe and get to see the emotion and hurt involved, one is left shell-shocked in one's seat.  To think, we built the world on such evil and sin.  To think, it probably still happens today seeing that there are more slaves on Earth now than ever before in history.  Very graphic, as the Bible also is, is the movie.  Reminiscent of The Wolf of Wall Street.  The two movies don't hold back to show you how things really transpired.  I absolutely love to watch films that are expository in nature, because it broadens one's horizons, gives great understanding of the plight of others and therefore can expand on true empathy (and less sympathy) for others.  Empathy is more likely to lead to action.  Action is a good thing.

In a way that I did not expect it, the movie strengthened my own personal faith.  I really enjoy experiencing a story by watching or playing it (such as the Assassin's Creed series or The Elder Scrolls).  I do sometimes read, but it is mostly limited to required readings of college classes or articles from newspapers and magazines.  Maybe my world-forming creativity which fictional reading expands is just weak, I'm not sure.  Noah allowed me to see the Bible (the book I have read more than any other, but without real colour or flair) in a way as never before.  I felt unashamed, more convicted of my own personal faith.  Whenever I stop by in Genesis again, the words will come to live as never before. 

Finally, whether or not you believe the story of Noah is true or not (I am biased, I'm afraid, in saying that I do believe) the movie carries a strong, impactful message.  Love and mercy wins.  Always. The task that has been set before us is an almighty one.  Possibly from afar insurmountable, but remember we were ordained from time immemorial to take stewardship of this Earth.  Whether like me, you believe God gave that task to us or whether you believe billions of years of evolution has brought us to the apex of existence and has through our innovation, intellect and above all curiosity given us the incredulous power to shape our world and universe to our whims, power to you.  But our task is clear, we are the protects of Earth.  If our first priorities in life does not include some form of preservation or protection of nature then woe is us! 

Be ye fruitful and multiply.  Let thy seed be as the stars of the everlasting heavens.  Protect this Earth I have given to you, my children.

Let the task that I have set before you, never depart your wanderings on this Earth.
TheLonelyman

No comments:

Post a Comment